- Werther – Josè Maria Lo Monaco makes her role debut as Charlotte!
- Josè Maria Lo Monaco and Bruno de Simone star in Cenerentola! ABAO
- Josè Maria Lo Monaco and Anicio Zorzi Giustiniani, Monteverdi’s ORFEO! new production Opéra de Lausanne
- Christian Senn and Josè Maria Lo Monaco star in “Le Nozze di Figaro” at the International Festival Wratislavia Cantans!
- LA CENERENTOLA – Teatro dell’Opera di Roma – Josè Maria Lo Monaco (Angelina) & Ugo Guagliardo (Alidoro)
- no article present
Josè Maria Lo Monaco
- Bizet’s Carmen (title-role) – Sydney Opera House – 2017
- Rossini’s Cenerentola (title-role) - Santiago del Chile – 2017
- Rossini’s Cenerentola (title-role) – Opera di Firenze - 2017
- Bellini’s Norma (Adalgisa) – Opéra Royal de Wallonie Liège – 2017
- Monteverdi’s Ritorno di Ulisse - european tour R. Jacobs 2017
- Massenet’s Werther (Charlotte) – Teatro Comunale di Bologna - M.Mariotti – 2016
- Monteverdi’s Orfeo (Musica, Speranza) – Lausanna, new production of R. Carsen - 2016
- Handel’s Serse (title-role) – Liceu Barcelona / Auditorio Madrid – JC Spinosi- 2016
- Rossini’s Cenerentola (title-role) – Bilbao, Abao – 2016
- Rossini’s Cenerentola (title-role) – Opera di Roma, new production of Emma Dante – 2016
- Handel’s Alcina, (Ruggiero) – Teatro Real Madrid – C.Moulds/D.Alden
- Rossini’s la Gazzetta (Madame LaRose) – Rossini Opera Festival - E.Mazzonis/M.Carniti
- Rossini’s Comte Ory (Isolier) – Teatro alla Scala - D.Renzetti /L.Pelly
- Bizet’s Carmen (title-role) – Opéra de Lyon new production of Oliver Py /S Montanari
- Mozart’s Così fan tutte (Dorabella) & Le Nozze di Figaro – La Fenice - D. Michieletto
- Monteverdi’s Incoronazione, Orfeo, Ulisse – cd Glossa – conductor C. Cavina – Venexiana
- Donizetti’s Maria Stuarda (Elisabetta) – Festival Donizetti Bergamo with M. Devia
One of the most promising mezzo of her generation, she made her debut at the Rossini Opera Festival Accademy in Pesaro as Melibea in Viaggio a Reims in the 2005 (she returned at R.O.F. in Italiana in Algeri, La Scala di Seta and La Gazzetta) and the same season she debuted at Teatro La Scala in Petite Messe Solennelle, and Dido and Aeneas.. Josè Maria Lo Monaco returned to La Scala then took part in the productions of Donna del Lago, Oberto Conte di San Bonifacio and recently in Le Comte Ory in 2014/2015 season, when she had a great personal success as Isolier staged by L.Pelly, with Juan Diego Florez as Comte.
She is invited in the most prestigious theaters : La Scala in Milan, Teatro Real of Madrid, Teatro Liceu in Barcellona, Opèra Ganier in Paris, Salzburg Festival, La Fenice in Venice, Rossini Opera Festival, Opèra de Lyon etc.. collaborating with conductors such as Roberto Abbado, Fabio Biondi, Ottavio Dantone, Enrique Mazzola, Stefano Montanari, Riccardo Muti, Antonio Pappano, Evelino Pidò, Alberto Zedda, Donato Renezetti, Jean Christophe Spinosì, …and director such as Daniele Abbado (La Cenerentola in Bari), Robert Carsen (Rigoletto at Aix en Provence), Damiano Michieletto (Così fan Tutte, Nozze di Figaro, Gazza Ladra, Barbiere di Siviglia), Cesare Levi (Demofoonte at Opéra Paris/Salzburg, Pier Luigi Pizzi (Incoronazione di Poppea in Florence), Olivier Py (Carmen at Opéra de Lyon), Graham Vick (Anna Bolena in Palermo)…
The many roles played include: Angelina in La Cenerentola, Rosina in Il Barbiere di Siviglia, Adalgisa in Norma, Giovanna Seymour in Anna Bolena, Elisabetta in Maria Stuarda, Dorabella in Così fan Tutte, Cherubino in Le Nozze di Figaro, Orfeo in Orfeo ed Euridice; Cornelia in Giulio Cesare, Dido in Dido and Aeneas, Carmen in Carmen, Ottavia in Incoronazione di Poppea, Isolier in Le Comte Ory …
She graduated in piano at the Conservatory Vincenzo Bellini (Catania) and began studying singing with mezzo-soprano Bianca Maria Casoni in Milan. Very soon, she was invited by many Italian and French opera houses.
She made her debut at the Opéra de Paris and Salzburg Festival as Timante in Jommelli’s Demofoonte with Riccardo Muti staged by Cesare Levi. More recently she debuted Carmen at the Opéra National de Lyon staged by Olivier Py, dir Stefano Montanari, that was awarded “production of the year” by Mezzo television! Her debut in La Cenerentola (title-role) was in Italy (Petruzzelli Bari, Reggio Emilia, Cagliari) with EvelinoPido, staged by Daniele Abbado. She performed the role again in 2015 in Rennes in the historical production of Jerome Savary and in 2016 in Rome Opera in a new production of Emma Dante.
Josè Maria Lo Monaco also performs in concert and recital. Very fond in Handel repertoire she recently sang Alcina, Ruggiero, in Madrid, Teatro Real and Serse, title role, at the Liceu in Barcelona.
She regularly collaborated with several important orchestra with original instruments: Vivaldi’s Tito Manlio in London Barbican, Giuditta in BetuliaLiberata in Bremen, Judithain Vivaldi’s Juditha Triumphans in Krakow and Cornelia in Giulio Cesare in european tour, under the baton of Ottavio Dantone and Accademia Bizantina; Alceste in Handel’s Admeto and Ottavia in Incoronazione di Poppea with Alan Curtis and Complesso Barocco; Alcina in Vivaldi’s Orlando Furioso in european tour with J.C.Spinosi and Ensemble Matheus; Nerone in Handel’s Agrippina and Alessandro in Scarlatti’s Carlo Re d’Allemagna under the baton of Fabio Biondi and Europa Galante …
Last season she sang the recital Romanzas de Zarzuela at the Metz Arsenal with Edmon Colomer.
In the sacred repertoire she sang Rossini’s Stabat Mater in Vatican under the baton of J. L. Cobos for S.S. Pope Benedict XVI and the president of Italian Republic, and recently Bach’s Magnificat with Antonio Pappano at Accademia di Santa Cecilia, Rome and Beethoven’s Missa Solemnis with Jean Christophe Spinosì, European tour.
In Monteverdi’s repertoire Josè Maria sang Messaggera and Speranza in Orfeo with Andrea Marcon, Jordi Savall, Claudio Cavina; Ottavia in Incoronazione di Poppea with Alan Curtis…She recorded for Glossa (with La Venexiana, Claudio Cavina) the trilogy as Messaggera in Orfeo (Gramophone Award 2008), Ottone in L’Incoronazione di Poppea and Penelope in Il Ritorno d’Ulisse in Patria.
Upcoming and last performances include: La Cenerentola at the ABAO in Bilbao; Musica et Messagiera in Monteverdi’s Orfeo at Opéra de Losanna with Ottavio Dantone in a new production of Robert Carsen; Serse, title role, Liceu and Madrid with J.C.Spinosì; Werther, Charlotte, in Bologna with Michele Mariotti; Norma, Adalgisa, in Opera Royal de Wallonie Liége; La Cenerentola, title role, in Florence; La Cenerentola, in Teatro Municipal de Santiago, Chile; Carmen, title role, in Sidney …
Last edited April 2017
Download Biography : LO MONACO – CV_ENG, ITA & ESP